Happy New Quilting Year!
We voted at the Christmas Party to move our meetings to Mondays, preferably the 2nd or 3rd Monday. In January the second Monday is not available space-wise and the third Monday is a holiday so…our next meeting will be Monday, January 6, at 4pm at COBC. NEXT WEEK!
Dues for 2014 are due: $20 CASH PREFERRED! if you want to join in the monthly UFO gift certificate drawing (If not, no biggie, come anyway!) I suggest we get $30 gift cards this year and only give out one a month for finished quilts shown at show and tell. We did $25 gift cards last year.
Teri brought a bag full of leftover I Spy squares for anyone who wants them.
Everyone wanted to know how to make the no-sew fleece hat Ginny made for the exchange. She’ll show you how at the January meeting if you bring 1/2 yard of polar fleece with you on January 6.
Meals: We haven’t had meal Signups yet. I think we’d have less blank months if we had TWO main people provide dinner per month with an optional helper. The helper would still be responsible for a meal in another month. Thoughts? Any volunteers for next Monday??
MYSTERY QUILT INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE ONLINE! – FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW.
At the party we decided to have a Mystery Quilt class and to switch our meetings to Mondays. I checked the church calendar and here’s what I submitted for approval:
TENTATIVE 2014 CALENDAR
- Monday, January 6 (January 13 is a Heritage Oak School Parent Meeting and January 20 is MLKJr holiday)
- Friday, February 7 – Sit and Sew and Mystery Quilt Class 4pm to midnight – hosted by Laura Newbry (instructions are attached) Download Step 1 in the Mystery Quilt
- Monday, February 10 is available if we still want to have a monthly meeting in addition to the Mystery Class
- Monday, March 10 – Regular Meeting and BOM
- Monday, April 7 – Tehachapi Mountain Quilters have a night meeting at Country Oaks
- Monday, April 21 – Regular Meeting and BOM (April 14 is Easter break)
- Monday, May 19 – Regular Meeting and BOM (May 12 is an HOS Parent Meeting)
- Monday, June 16 – Regular Meeting and BOM
- Monday, July 14 – Regular Meeting and BOM
Block of the Month Procedure
Make a block in your own colors and keep it. If you wish to be part of our block exchange, make a second block in the designated color of the month.
IF YOU OWE ONE OF OUR BLOCK WINNERS A BLOCK…Please be diligent and get her the block she won ASAP. If you haven’t won yet and need to drop out, please let me know so we can adjust the calendar. Thank you!
Here’s the 411 on the next block…
In January 2014
We will exchange the Minnesota blocks (in brown and batiks shown above) that we worked on back at the November 2013 meeting. Then we will be working on LUCKY PIECES. (red/gray shown above). PLEASE READ CAREFULLY – The Lucky Pieces instructions on the linked website has FIVE COLORS. Our Lucky Pieces block to exchange will ONLY HAVE FOUR COLORS: RED, WHITE AND TWO SHADES OF GRAY. Referring to the picture above, please place the colors as follows: make the windmill in the center out of RED (print, solid, you choose), make the other pinwheel in the center out of WHITE (or predominantly white with touches of either gray or red), make the background out of LIGHT GRAY and finally make the blue corner pieces out of a DARK GRAY (make sure there is a lot of contrast between your two gray fabrics.) If we all follow these directions, drop the extra color, then we should get blocks that have a nice 3D look.
We still have the following blocks on the Summer Sampler Series to do – Six Pointed String block, Evening Star and Kansas Dust Storm. We need to add some Blocks to add to make sure everyone is a winner. Here’s some suggested blocks: Snail’s Trail – Do you have any block suggestions? It was suggested we pick a few simpler blocks because the last three Summer Samplers are pretty challenging.
- 2013 April – Star of Virginia (blues) – Angi Wiggins
- May – Greek Cross (black & white) – Ginny Brooks
- June – Mosaic (30′s) – Diane Cole
- August – Flower Garden Path (black & scraps) – Lisa Lopez
- September – Star Block (solids) – Sandy Duxbury
- October – Arkansas Traveler (floral and white) – Christina Salazar
- November – Rocky Road to Kansas (dots & Christmas) – Laura Newbry
- No block – December – Christmas Party at Teri’s House
- 2014 January – Minnesota (stained glass look) –
- February – Lucky Pieces (gray, red & white) –
- March –
- April –
- May –
- June –
- July –
- August 2014 – so everyone will win a block
15 Block of the Month Participants: Angi, Mary, Christina, Sandy D., Diane C., Ginny, Laura N, Lisa L, Teri K., Carolyn, Pogie, Kim W, Robyn, Heather, Roxanna
Monthly Meeting Schedule
4:00 -5:30 pm Come for Free Sew and/or instructions on sewing the block of the month.
5:30 pm – 6:30pm – Dinner, Show & Tell and Block Exchange – All Business (show and tell and BOM) and dinner is transacted from 5:30 – 6:30pm.
Draw for a Finished UFO Winner – To participate, please pay your dues of $20, finish a quilt in the past month, and share it with us to be in our monthly drawing to win a gift certificate to a quilt shop.
6:30-8:00pm Free Sew and Block of the Month sewing time continues
THREE CHALLENGES IN 2014
Don’t forget to work on one or all of the three Challenges we have for 2014. We’ll be showing them at the Christmas Party in December 2014 and having a drawing. The three ways to enter the 2014 Loose Threads Challenge? Complete an “I Spy” from the charm exchange, make a Block of the Month quilt from blocks you win, or make a Block of the Month sampler with your own blocks/own fabrics. Make one, make all. There will only be one drawing but if you make three quilts, your name can be in the drawing three times.