Planning Ahead for 2014
Hey Girls. The Christmas Party was a lot of fun, as usual. Thanks for hosting it, Teri. Great food everyone, and lots of fun homemade gift items! The 2013 Batik Challenge gift card winner was Cathy Criger. Beautiful quilt, Cathy! Congrats to Pogie, Carolyn, Christina and Angi for also getting their challenge tops done. Teri had a “find the thimble” game and Donna Schilling won the prize.
We also picked up our “I Spy Squares” at the party. There’s three ways to enter the 2014 Loose Threads Challenge (deadline is our next Christmas party in 2014) – complete an “I Spy” from the charm exchange, make a Block of the Month quilt from blocks you win, or make a Block of the Month sampler with your own blocks/own fabrics. Make one, make all. There will only be one drawing but if you make three quilts, your name can be in the drawing three times. Happy Quilting in 2014!
At the party we decided to have a Mystery Quilt class and to switch our meetings to Mondays. I checked the church calendar and here’s what I submitted for approval:
TENTATIVE 2014 CALENDAR
- Monday, January 6 (January 13 is a Heritage Oak School Parent Meeting and January 20 is MLKJr holiday)
- Friday, February 7 – Sit and Sew and Mystery Quilt Class 4pm to midnight – hosted by Laura Newbry (instructions are attached) Download Step 1 in the Mystery Quilt
- Monday, February 10 is available if we still want to have a monthly meeting in addition to the Mystery Class
- Monday, March 10 – Regular Meeting and BOM
- Monday, April 7 – Tehachapi Mountain Quilters have a night meeting at Country Oaks
- Monday, April 21 – Regular Meeting and BOM (April 14 is Easter break)
- Monday, May 19 – Regular Meeting and BOM (May 12 is an HOS Parent Meeting)
- Monday, June 16 – Regular Meeting and BOM
- Monday, July 14 – Regular Meeting and BOM
Everyone wanted to know how to make the no-sew fleece hat Ginny made for the exchange. She’ll show you how at the January meeting if you bring 1/2 yard of polar fleece with you on January 6.
We need to continue Block of the Month until August of 2014 so that everyone will win a block – so we’ll need to add a few more blocks to the mix. It was suggested we add some easier ones as we have some really difficult ones coming up in the Summer Sampler Series. Snail’s Trail was suggested. Are there any other blocks you’d like to do?
Here’s the 411 on the next block…
In January 2014
We will exchange the Minnesota blocks (in brown and batiks shown above) that we worked on back at the November 2013 meeting. Then we will be working on LUCKY PIECES. (red/gray shown above). PLEASE READ CAREFULLY – The Lucky Pieces instructions on the linked website has FIVE COLORS. Our Lucky Pieces block to exchange will ONLY HAVE FOUR COLORS: RED, WHITE AND TWO SHADES OF GRAY. Referring to the picture above, please place the colors as follows: make the windmill in the center out of RED (print, solid, you choose), make the other pinwheel in the center out of WHITE (or predominantly white with touches of either gray or red), make the background out of LIGHT GRAY and finally make the blue corner pieces out of a DARK GRAY (make sure there is a lot of contrast between your two gray fabrics.) If we all follow these directions, drop the extra color, then we should get blocks that have a nice 3D look.
Still Left on the Summer Sampler Series – Six Pointed String block, Evening Star and Kansas Dust Storm.
Blocks to add to make sure everyone is a winner: Snail’s Trail,
- 2013 April – Star of Virginia (blues) – Angi Wiggins
- May – Greek Cross (black & white) – Ginny Brooks
- June – Mosaic (30′s) – Diane Cole
- August – Flower Garden Path (black & scraps) – Lisa Lopez
- September – Star Block (solids) – Sandy Duxbury
- October – Arkansas Traveler (floral and white) – Christina Salazar
- November – Rocky Road to Kansas (dots & Christmas) – Laura Newbry
- No block – December – Christmas Party at Teri’s House
- 2014 January – Minnesota (stained glass look) –
- February – Lucky Pieces (gray, red & white) –
- March –
- April –
- May –
- June –
- July –
- August 2014 – so everyone will win a block
15 Block of the Month Participants: Angi, Mary, Christina, Sandy D., Diane C., Ginny, Laura N, Lisa L, Teri K., Carolyn, Pogie, Kim W, Robyn, Heather, Roxanna